Sunday, September 12, 2010

For my beloved mother in law; Ann Heath Fay. She died last month after a 2 year battle with ALS. Although her son and I divorced almost a decade ago, she and my father in law and I remained connected. We visited, talked and laughed. When she called to congratulate me on my engagement she said, "No matter who you marry, you'll always be our daughter in law." I will miss her every day.

The Ship

We are standing upon the seashore...A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze, and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch her until at length she is only a ribbon of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!"

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side, and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination...Her diminished size is in me - not in her - and just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There, she's gone!" someone on the Other Side and other voices are ready to take up the glad shout, "There! She comes!"

And that is what we call - dying. Col. David Marcus

No comments: