Tuesday, December 9, 2008

How did Dorothy get back to Kansas?

A few weeks ago I was a presenter at the CFT (Center for Financial Training) conference in Newport RI, (and what a blast that was). Anyway, I happened to catch the last few minutes of The Wizard of Oz, one of my all time favorites. There was Dorothy, saying goodbye to the Scarecrow, clicking her heals together three times, and waking up in her own black and white life. How did she get there?

Here's a hint. It wasn't the shoes. It was her mind. My friend and business coach Marc Tannenbaum likes to say succeeding in business is a six inch game, it's all between the ears. Boy, is he right.

Dorothy had the power to go home all along. And it wasn't the Ruby Slippers that held the power. It was the six inches between her ears. All she had to do was believe that she could go home, and home she went. And so, I would posit, it is with us and all that we wish to do that we think is undoable.

I listen to people tell me, "I'm a terrible public speaker." and I think,"If you say so." What we believe we make real.

At the moment, we're being told that the economy is bad and it's only going to get worse. Here's what I think. I think we are some of the most creative, resourceful, hard working people on the planet. When we put our minds to something, we are unstoppable.

We rise or we fall. We succeed or we fail. We are good, we are great, we are mediocre. We find our way home. The power isn't in the shoes. It's in us.

go get 'em

No comments: